Saturday, July 23, 2011

Trout Lake, WA - Mt Adams, South Spur

When Megan broke her leg I promised that as soon as her leg was better to hike we would get out and do things before the summer was over and that if need be I would carry all her gear. Well she made me make good on that promise this weekend again...

We departed Portland around 8am on Saturday morning with the idea that we would get ourselves to Lunch Counter and then see how it goes. Somehow I just knew that Megan wouldn't be satisfied just half of the route - I'm getting to know this girl ;) Rolling into Trout Lake we stopped at the Ranger Station to pick up permits and get the latest schpeal from the rangers. We did find out that the road to Cold Springs was open all the way and that there was still so much snow on the mountain that the winter route was still very accessible so that was all good news. Megan ran into some of her Mazama friends heading in to do the Mazama Glacier route including the leader of her basics mountaineering class.
After squeezing the Camry into a tricky spot we got changed and shouldered our packs. Mine actually didn't feel too bad even though I had a ton of gear and pretty much everything for Megan and I to eat, sleep, cook and climb with for the weekend. (My new Mountain Hardware South Col pack is the best fitting pack I have owned to date. Although it isn't the lightest, tipping the scale at 3lb 14oz, it carries very well and can hold 70L.) I reminded myself about the pace of the Tortuga that Michael and I plodded on my first Rainier summit and chugged along.

At first many parties were passing us but as the day wore on Megan and I just kept our pace and soon enough we had caught and or passed many of them nearing Lunch Counter. That ended up giving us a wonderful choice of camp sites and we did choose a premier luxurious sandy spot for our home. As evening fell we cooked up a great Shepard's pie and tuna combination and followed that with a tri-berry crumble dessert and some Licorice tea. We bedded down early with the plan to rise around 6am and make our way to the summit.




Starting out on Trail 183

Leaving Tr183 and heading up the south spur

Mt St Helens, Crescent Glacier and my new pack


Marching up to Devil's Half Acre


Mt St Helens to the west


Megan almost to the Lunch Counter ~9000 ft.


The 'beach like' camp spot

The tent is set


Kitchen and storage is organized and water is getting melted in the JetBoil


Mountaineers favorite time...nap time


Sleeping beauty


The South Face - tomorrow's objective


Megan was the first one up and out of the tent in the morning; I was dragging as I didn't sleep so well through the night. With the stove going she fixed us some tea and oats for breakfast. A beautiful site was the shadow that Adams was casting to the west during sunrise. It reached out and almost touched Mt St.Helens and reminded me about the native's story. It goes something like this, Mt Adams and Mt Hood competed for St Helens favor. Mt Adams of course won out but in anger Mt Hood smacked him in the head and that is why Mt Adams has such a flat top.

Most parties had already made their way to the south slope and we could see them ascending like ants. However, like the day before Megan and I made great time up the slope and passed most of them on our way to the south summit. As we crested Pikers Peak around 11,000 ft. we had a quick snack and continued our way to the true summit. the clouds were moving very fast over 11,000' and the wind had really picked up. I had to put on a wind shell and a hat as the temperatures and wind chill were quite frosty. When we finally made the summit, I congratulated Megan on her new high point and told her I was honored once again to be there with her.



Adams shadow reaching out towards St Helens


What remains of Mt St Helens


Megan passing another tourist!

Moutaineeress approaches South Summit/Pikers Peak

Summit Partners and Megan's New High Point!

As for me this means I have been to the summit of every volcano in Washington state and only have 4 more to complete the PNW series.






No comments: