Sunday, April 1, 2007

Vantage, WA - Rock Weekend

Kathy asked if I was interested in going to Vantage for the last weekend in March and I am glad she did. Four of us ended up packing into my van and heading down late on Friday night. The crew consisted of Kathy Tamanaha (KT), Kathy Chung (KC), Jim and myself. We had a quick stop in Ellensburg on the way thru to top up with burgers and beer.



Can I take your order sir?...Sir?....Sir?




Weather can be chancy this time of the year and it was nice to have the Westy as it was fairly windy and the
evenings brought in a chill. Jim and KT braved a tent setup while KC and I shared the van.

Saturday's climbing was mainly at the Upper Riverview Wall with plenty of on sights on the moderate 10's. A nice '10 by Leland W. was adventurous with heel and toe hooks affording a clean ascent. Later in the day we hiked over to Jigsaw Wall and played on some 11's. The routes were nice in quality but it was a busy place. Mick was spotted working his Red M&M's and Senile was also out cranking in fine style. I have a few more routes to go after in the Jigsaw area - for a return trip. Sunday started with a fine run with KC thru the lower basin in and around the Fugs Falls area. We ended up scrambling the lower cliffs below Sunshine Wall as we planned to come up and over the mesa back to camp. I can see she is a butt kicker on the trails and hope to introduce her to Rattlesnake Ridge as I think it will put a week long perma-smile on her face. The climbing consisted of an easy day playing at the Kotick Wall and some of the new routes there.


The trip consisted of awesome food prepared by KC, KT and Jim. I can't claim my breakfast was tops as I forgot the main stay of that meal. Next time???



KT consults the guide for directions to the Gullies while KC looks on impatiently.














Wonder if she noticed the new signs???





Upper RiverView Wall - note the running trail below in basin



Beta for KC - does she even need it?


Every trip needs a good butt shot



This chick walks thru the crux with ease








Captain Sterling get's some lovins for a good belay











The gang approaches Kotick Wall

No comments: